In conjunction with the update to Philadelphia’s Stormwater Regulations on July 1, 2015, Philadelphia Water has engaged in extensive revisions to create the Philadelphia Stormwater Management Guidance Manual, Version 3.0. The goals of this revision include:
- Daylighting and clarifying internal policies;
- Identifying design requirements versus design recommendations; and
- Creating a singular resource for a project’s lifecycle: Design, Construction, and Maintenance.
What is the Stormwater Management Guidance Manual?
The Stormwater Regulations require on-site stormwater management for development projects that disturb 15,000 square feet (5,000 in certain watersheds) of earth disturbance. Other types of construction activities may also trigger portions of the Stormwater Regulations, including demolition and voluntary stormwater retrofit projects. The Stormwater Management Guidance Manual is a comprehensive resource for the development community, designed to help the applicant navigate the Stormwater Plan Review process and demonstrate compliance with the Stormwater Regulations.
How Will the Manual Help Me?
The Manual provides detailed guidance for the applicant on how to quickly and efficiently comply with the Stormwater Regulations for development and other construction projects. Using this Manual, the applicant will be able to do the following:
- Determine if a project is regulated under the Stormwater Regulations and, if so, what specific requirements need to be met
- Learn about new ways to incorporate green approaches to stormwater management that provide benefits for development projects and expedite the stormwater approval process
- Design specific Stormwater Management Practices (SMPs) to meet Philadelphia Water standards.
- Prepare and submit application materials
- Learn how to ensure proper installation and protection of SMPs during construction activity
- Obtain information on post-construction and Operations and Maintenance (O&M) requirements
How has the Manual changed?
A significant change for July 1, 2015 is the web-based format in which users can access the Manual. This platform promotes quick and easy ways for obtaining and distributing information as it relates to stormwater management in the City. Administered by PWD’s Stormwater Plan Review, the policies and procedures detailed in the Manual have been updated to incorporate the regulatory and review process enhancements effective July 1, 2015.
However, the Philadelphia Stormwater Management Guidance Manual Version 2.1 is applicable to all projects for which an Existing Resources and Site Analysis Application was submitted prior to July 1, 2015. Version 2.1 and its supplemental materials (i.e., worksheets, checklists, forms, etc.) are available online.
Can I send PWD feedback on the Manual?
In addition to providing users with a fully searchable and downloadable Manual, the website allows for responsive and targeted content and layout updates. As the development community takes advantage of the new platform, PWD encourages the use of the Manual comment form provided below. Suggested changes, corrections, and other feedback will assist PWD in improving this resource through future versions.