Chapter 2, Submission, Review, and Approval Procedures, outlines the steps required to obtain the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) Stormwater Plan Review or Stormwater Billing and Incentives approvals, where PWD certifies that a project complies with, or is exempt from, the PWD Stormwater Regulations (Stormwater Regulations). Before using Chapter 2, the applicant must review Chapter 1 to learn the basics of the Stormwater Regulations and understand the applicability factors that determine if the Stormwater Regulations apply to the project and, if so, which specific requirement(s) apply.
Using the three Stormwater Regulation applicability factors described in Section 1.1 along with the guidance in this Chapter, the applicant can determine a project’s required submission and review process to obtain stormwater management approval or exemption.
As stated in Chapter 1, PWD reviews all projects in the City of Philadelphia that generate earth disturbance of 5,000 square feet or more. A project’s Review Path varies depending on the type of project, the project’s location, and the project’s earth disturbance area. Projects will fall under one of four major Review Paths:
- Development Compliance
- Development Exemption
- Stormwater Retrofit
These Review Paths each have one or more Review Phases, and each Review Phase consists of the following:
- A submission package from the applicant to PWD containing required information about the project
- A PWD review of the applicant’s submission package
- Issuance of approval by PWD for the applicant to proceed to the next Review Phase or final approval if in the terminal phase
Issuance of review comments by PWD to the applicant that must be addressed through resubmission by the applicant to PWD
Chapter 2 consists of seven Sections, which are listed and described below. A first-time applicant is encouraged to read all Sections sequentially, while others should feel free to use only the Sections of Chapter 2 that are most appropriate for a given project.
- Section 2.0 - Introduction: The applicant can use this Section to obtain general information on the PWD Stormwater Plan Review process, understand how to use Chapter 2, and to learn about ways to contact PWD Stormwater Plan Review and Stormwater Billing and Incentives, if necessary, throughout the process.
- Section 2.1 - Existing Resources and Site Analysis: The applicant can use this Section to understand the submission requirements for an Existing Resources and Site Analysis (ERSA) Application, which is the starting point for every applicant submitting to PWD Stormwater Plan Review. The applicant must use this Section first to determine which of four Review Paths is required for the project before proceeding to the following Sections of this Chapter.
- Section 2.2 - Review Paths: Once a project’s Review Path has been determined, the applicant can use this Section to find out more about the project’s Review Path, including all Review Phases within the Review Path.
- Section 2.3 - Review Phases: The applicant can use this Section to determine what materials need to be submitted to PWD at each Review Phase for each Review Path.
- Section 2.4 - Expedited Post-Construction Stormwater Management Plan (PCSMP) Reviews: The applicant can use this Section to determine if, and how, their project can obtain approval more quickly.
- Section 2.5 - PWD’S Development Review Process: The applicant can use this Section to understand how other PWD units and PWD permit requirements may interact with the project’s PWD Stormwater Plan Review approval.
- Section 2.6 - PWD’S Role in Philadelphia's Development Process: The applicant can use this Section to understand how other City departments and Zoning and Building Permit requirements may interact with the project’s PWD Stormwater Plan Review approval.
- Section 2.7 - PWD and Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: The applicant can use this Section to understand how Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) requirements interact with the project’s PWD Stormwater Plan Review approval.
Having worked through Chapter 2 to gain an understanding of the applicable Review Path and submission requirements, the applicant may use Chapter 3 to develop a stormwater management strategy that meets the project’s stormwater management requirements.
If the applicant’s project is a Stormwater Retrofit, Chapter 2 can be used to understand the review process for the project, which varies from the other Review Paths. Applicants are also encouraged to review Section 1.3 of this Manual for more information on Stormwater Retrofit projects. They can also contact Stormwater Billing and Incentives with any questions on how to apply this Manual to their project.